by: Chad Hallock, CEO of Budget Blinds
Being an entrepreneur is hard work. The hours are long, and the risk is high. When my partners and I decided to start Budget Blinds, I knew it would not be easy. But what I knew for certain was our franchise concept was the best on the market. Simple, low overhead, with a good foundation and a successful process to follow made for a winning equation.
Here are seven invaluable tips to becoming a successful business owner and entrepreneur.
- Define exactly what you want from your business. This is no easy task. This requires a great deal of honesty and clarity. You must ask yourself if you are willing to invest what you need to achieve your goals – not just financially but within yourself. Other important questions to ask: Are you seeking self-expression or early retirement? How much time are you willing to devote? When do you expect to see your desired return? Do you want your family involved? This is not the time to be concerned with how your choice looks to others. This is the time to sincerely search within yourself.
- Focus on the big picture. There are minor setbacks and mundane details that are part of every business. A lost sale or a bad choice can be consuming to the novice business owners. It’s imperative to your success that you rise above this and remain mindful of why you started this business and what you expect from it. If it could be built in a day, everyone would do it. YOU are going to work a little harder, a little smarter and think, which web host is best for a small business?…and have patience.
- Be goal oriented. Keep your eye on the long-range goals but don’t forget about the ones you can accomplish this week. This is important in keeping your energy level high. If all valuable achievements are weeks, months, or years away – you won’t have any rewards throughout your journey. It’s important to remember that the process is indeed a journey — not just “getting there.” Establish small daily goals that you know will take effort but are possible to achieve.
- Always have a winning attitude. This is an essential ingredient in success. There are few self absorbed, depressed winners.
- Learn to deal with your fears. Typically, fears about venturing on your own can be divided into two categories.
- “I will work hard and apply all I know successfully — but some outside force (economy, bigger competitor, etc.) will take it away from me.”
- “Who am I kidding? I’m not qualified to be the one alone at the top.”
We all have moments of doubt. Some people are immobilized by them and others keep their eye on their goal and move on. Be a person of action.
- Do the things you like least, first. This one took me a while to put into practice. It’s only natural to put off dealing with anything difficult or unpleasant. Learning to tackle the tough jobs first is step one in good time management and in real leadership.
- Dare to think big. Try this little experiment. Ask several successful people about their career goals — and you’ll find an amazing number of people who achieved exactly what they set out to accomplish. If it was “six figures” – that’s what they earn. If $75,000 was the goal, they hit it. I promise you that if they set their sights on $200,000 that’s what they’d be earning. Most of us are very limited in our view of success. Do you want to be successful enough that you have a FoundersCard? Set your sights high.
Budget Blinds was founded in 1992 and currently boasts over 900 franchise territories serving more than 7,500 cities throughout the United States and Canada. The company offers customers a full line of quality window coverings including shutters, shades, blinds, draperies and window film. It also provides free in-home consultations as well as complete measuring and installation services. Budget Blinds has been recognized as a leader in the franchise industry by organizations such as Entrepreneur, AllBusiness, Inc. and Franchise Business Review. With a strong vendor alliance program and growing product portfolio, Budget Blinds is the clear franchising leader in the multi-billion dollar window coverings market. For more information on Budget Blinds, visit www.budgetblinds.com or connect with us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/budgetblinds. For franchise opportunities, please visit www.budget-blinds-franchise.com.