More people than ever before are facing “starting over” as the number of Baby Boomers reaches over 74 million individuals facing retirement and/or an empty nest with all the kids (finally!) moved out. When the last child goes off to college, it can be an interesting time. Leaving the original two home alone. For some, that’s exciting; for others there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Empty nesting and retirement often go hand in hand, but not always. Either way, it’s a season of life when “me time” can reenter the picture. Think about what can bring fun and purpose into your life to fill that void of no kids in the house or careers that have ended.
- Travel to exciting places you’ve always wanted to see
- Convert that empty bedroom into a Man Cave, library, or crafts/sewing room
- Revive the dreams of learning to play the piano or cooking like a gourmet chef
- Sell the big house and buy a cabin on a lake, or move to the sunny Florida coast
- Start a business and be your own boss
Mature business owners on the rise
According to the 2015 Kauffman Index Startup Activity National Trends, approximately 36 percent of new entrepreneurs in 2014 were ages 55 to 64, the highest it’s been since 2009. Franchising is a great way to own a business; you don’t have to completely reinvent the wheel. With the right franchise opportunity, you’ll buy into a network of support dedicated to your business success, and one that respects your life experience and expertise.
Home Franchise Concepts (HFC) is home to three dynamic franchise brands in the home improvement industry that are ideal for that second career or retirement business. You have the option of working part time, full time, or building a team and overseeing, depending on what you set as business and personal goals.
- Budget Blinds® – custom window coverings, including blinds, shades, shutters, decorative window film and drapery styles for indoor/outdoor application, residential and commercial, including motorized window treatments
- Tailored Living® featuring PremierGarage® – custom storage solutions like closet organization systems, garage storage cabinets, and industrial-strength Premier One® garage flooring options for home and business
- Concrete Craft® – custom concrete staining, stamping and resurfacing for indoor and outdoor floors and hardscapes, like walkways, driveways, patios and vertical surfaces like fireplaces, retaining walls and home siding
Age is not a barrier to business success. Drive and determination will more than make up for the energy of youth! We consistently get these comments from our franchise owners as reasons they pursued independent business ownership, and franchising in particular. Nothing here has anything to do with age:
- Scale back from full time and choose my own hours
- Want the independence of being my own boss
- Buying into a proven business model and established brand
- No limits on how much money I can make
- Having a home-based business
- Building a team of employees who share my values
- Build something substantial to pass on to my children
- Tired of the corporate world rat race
So if the idea of a retirement of lying around and doing nothing is not appealing, you can reinvent yourself as a franchise business owner and write a new and exciting chapter in your life, like John and Elspeth Newlands, franchise owners of Budget Blinds serving Honolulu, who bought their franchise in their “golden years,” pushing a second, final retirement out into the future.
“We are heading into our senior years and were looking for a brand with strong awareness. Budget Blinds has a tried and tested system with great vendor relationships, which is important to us in business. With these proven systems at work, we’ve been able to focus on sales, customer services and installations and have hit the ground running since 2011.” (Read more of their story and why they chose Budget Blinds by clicking here.)
Choose your destiny
Retirement may or may not be a welcomed event but, if you live long enough, it’s inevitable! So take charge of this season of life and make it what you want it to be. Here are some thoughts to help put it all in perspective. What is one person’s ideal retirement may be another’s misery. You get to choose!
- “Don’t simply retire from something; have something to retire to.” –Harry Emerson Fosdick
- “A retired husband is often a wife’s full-time job.” –Ella Harris
- “I believe the key to happiness is: someone to love, something to do, and something to look forward to.” –Elvis Presley
- “Why retire from something if you’re loving it so much and enjoying it so much…Why would I think of retiring? What would I do with myself?” — Betty White
- “When you do something that you love it can be hard, but when it’s meaningful, it doesn’t feel like work.” – Carolee Cameron Duckworth, Ph.D
If owning your own business is in your future plans to refill that empty nest or invigorate your retirement, go online to Home Franchise Concepts or call 1-800-420-5374 today and begin investigating the business of franchising and see if a Budget Blinds, Tailored Living or Concrete Craft franchise opportunity is the proper fit for you.
If you’re a veteran, click here to learn how HFC and its family of brands assists veterans with becoming independent franchise business owners, including substantial discounts to purchase a franchise.