Todd and Leslie Kerekes, franchise owners of Tailored Living Serving Princeton, NJ, have a unique story about entering the world of franchising. Although everyone’s journey to franchise business ownership has some elements in common—desire to be your own boss, better work/life balance, no limits on income—their story has a romantic twist. Would you believe a honeymoon during the two-week initial training?
2018, a new year of new beginnings
Todd and Leslie met July 30, 2010. He was in corporate sales with Microsoft and she had a long-time career as a radiation therapist. As life unfolded, they fell in love and joined forces raising kids and building a future. Then, suddenly, last year became an epiphany year, making 2018 their year of new beginnings.
- Todd learned about the Tailored Living® franchise opportunity in July 2017 through a Sirius XM radio ad.
- He called Tailored Living to investigate the company since, being a hands-on home improvement guy himself, the home organization business was appealing.
- He had thought about having his own business one day and now the timing seemed right with the kids all grown and no responsibilities for other people.
- They got engaged in November.
- Due diligence led them to attend a TL Discovery Day in November and the decision to buy a franchise.
- They decided their new business would open on February 5, 2018.
The Discovery Day decision to buy a Tailored Living franchise set everything in motion.
- They were going to become business owners
- They knew they would be returning to California in January for training
- They knew they wanted to get married soon
On the way to the airport, returning home to a cold New Jersey winter, their driver mentioned how romantic Catalina was. Liking the idea of a romantic, sunshiny wedding but not familiar with Catalina, they researched online and discovered that Catalina is famous for weddings, and that everything could be handled online. Arriving at the airport, they booked their wedding on Catalina Island for January 13, the Saturday before Tailored Living franchise training would start on Monday, the 15th.
Since no family or friends made the trip to Catalina for the wedding, they held a wedding reception when they got home following training. They celebrated the new marriage and the new business in grand style with a wedding cake decorated like the Tailored Living truck that will be their mobile billboard and “silent” partner.
Building a secure financial future
An important part of new franchisee training is completing a business plan and defining goals, a strategic step to having a successful business. Todd and Leslie worked with their business coach to develop a viable business plan and set goals that will promote forward momentum as they grow their new business. Initial goals starting out include:
- Todd will ramp up the business as fast as possible.
- They’ll hire a full-time installer so Todd can focus on sales and running the business.
- Within two years, Leslie will quit her job and work full-time in the Tailored Living business.
- Leslie is starting online classes to become a Certified Professional Organizer with NAPO (National Association of Professional Organizers).
Having a plan and working that plan will put them on the road to success in their new business, especially in conjunction with all the support from Tailored Living.
- Low initial fees with low overhead
- Two-week new owner training covering business practices, product education and installation
- A dedicated Franchise Support Department with Business Specialists and Coaches
- Flat royalty and marketing fees so you keep more of what you make
- In-depth online training, educational videos and cutting-edge technology
- National Advertising Fund for national exposure and coordinating local area marketing tools
- Active social media: Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram
- Annual International Convention with information, training and networking
- Highest quality products and services at the best prices
Joining a robust family of brands
Tailored Living is one of the three Home Franchise Concepts (HFC) family of brands in the multi-billion-dollar home improvement/home services industry. Sister brands are Budget Blinds® and Concrete Craft® and, together, the three brands support over 1,400 franchised territories across the U.S. and Canada.
Tailored Living – the largest whole home organization franchise in the U.S. and Canada, installing custom storage solutions for closets, home offices, pantries, laundry rooms, garages and more for both residential and commercial customers.
Budget Blinds – custom window coverings, including blinds, shutters, shades and drapery styles for indoor/outdoor application, residential and commercial, also offering cutting-edge smart home automation. The #1 window coverings franchise in North America with over 1,100 franchises in all 50 states, Canada and Monterrey, Mexico.
Concrete Craft –provides custom concrete overlays, including stained, stamped and resurfaced concrete for indoor and outdoor floors and hardscapes. Walkways, driveways, pool decks, patios, entryways and vertical surfaces are changed from ordinary to extraordinary. With franchisee owners in 17 states, there’s lots of room for growth with the newest HFC franchise brand.
Celebrating its 25th anniversary year, HFC is the strength behind the brands, providing structure and support to ensure that every franchise owner has everything they need to be successful. If you’re ready for a new direction in life or if you’ve ever wanted to be your own boss, franchising may be the answer. Go online to Home Franchise Concepts or call 1-800-420-5374 today and check out the benefits of owning a franchise business with HFC. Talk to one of our Franchise Licensing Advisors to see if owning a franchise business is a good career fit for you. And, if you’re from out of town, plan a side trip to Catalina when you come for training.
Veterans click here to learn about the special discounts for qualified Veterans for all three brands.