Home Franchise Concepts (HFC), parent company to Budget Blinds®, Tailored Living® and Concrete Craft®, has a legacy of honoring and supporting military Veterans through programs and initiatives designed to enhance their lives. Shirin Behzadi, Chief Executive Officer, shares the motivation behind the actions: “At HFC, we share a strong commitment to supporting veterans who have served our country. Many of our franchisees across the country are Veterans or have personal connections to the U.S. Armed Forces, so we feel extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to give back to these true American heroes when and where we can.”
- In the U.S., we have partnered with Homes for Our Troops (HFOT) a non-profit organization that builds specially adapted, mortgage-free homes for severely wounded veterans who have suffered catastrophic injuries, post -9/11.
- In Canada, our partnership with Wounded Warriors Canada (WWC) supports Canada’s ill and injured Canadian Armed Forces members, Veterans and their families.
- Budget Blinds and Tailored Living have participated in multiple home renovations for deserving Veterans with Designing Spaces’ Military Makeover airing on Lifetime® Television as well as NBC’s George to the Rescue.
- HFC offers discounted, low-cost franchises to help Veterans build secure financial futures through independent business ownership with Budget Blinds, Tailored Living or Concrete Craft.
- A special Million Dollar Franchise Event launched Veteran’s Day 2013 and extended for one year awarded 34 Budget Blinds and Tailored Living franchise territories to qualified Veterans with discounts totaling over one million dollars.
Now, in 2017, HFC is launching a new Veteran initiative called, HFC’s There’s No Place Like Home – Veteran Partnership and Giveaway, to give one franchise territory to a qualified Veteran candidate in the U.S. or Canada. One Budget Blinds, Tailored Living or Concrete Craft franchise will be awarded on November 11, 2017 (Veteran’s Day in the U.S. and Remembrance Day in Canada), to specially honor one Veteran with the gift of an independently owned franchise business.
HFC’s There’s No Place Like Home – Veteran Partnership and Giveaway
Home Franchise Concepts is dedicated to helping improve the lives of our Veterans and awarding a business ownership is one way to draw attention to the struggles of returning Veterans.
Approximately 250,000 Veterans exit the military service annually in the U.S., and this initiative will help raise awareness about the challenges that often accompany transitioning back to civilian life. Many Veterans struggle with finding employment and housing as a result of the physical and psychological challenges brought on by their military service.
For HFC’s There’s No Place Like Home – Veteran Partnership and Giveaway, Veterans will be nominated by active franchise business owners in the U.S. and Canada, accompanied by a short introduction as to why they are being nominated and why they are a good fit for business ownership within the HFC family of brands. All honorably discharged members of the U.S. and Canadian Armed Forces are eligible for nomination. Candidates will be evaluated by a panel comprised of representatives across all three brands and HFC corporate personnel. This panel will make the final determination on the territory award.
During the months-long selection process, franchisees will promote HFC’s new Veteran initiative with consumers and customers, increasing awareness of the needs of returning Veterans and sharing how they can support the eventual winner. A GoFundMe matching fund has been established whereby HFC will match every dollar donated to the giveaway, up to $50,000.The fund is intended to support the awarded Veteran in their business operations once they take ownership of their HFC territory in November. With consumer contributions and HFC’s matching dollars, there is the possibility of $100,000 for equipment, local advertising and working capital to give the winning Veteran a great start for their first year in business!
Veterans have the “right stuff” for business success
The first veteran franchise owner came onboard in 2006 with Budget Blinds and now 10% of Budget Blinds owners are Veterans. Years of working with Veteran franchise business owners have enabled us to define vital skills acquired through military service that specifically contribute to building a productive franchise business, including leadership skills, respect for the system, teamwork, risk taking, self-discipline and time management. Here is what some of our Veteran franchise owners have to say about being part of the HFC family as an independent franchise business owner:
- Derek Harris served six years in the Navy and now is a veteran franchise owner of Tailored Living serving Littleton, CO.“I chose Tailored Living because the company structure was compatible with my hands-on attitude and because I enjoy working with people to achieve goals. I’ve been able to carry over the work ethic I gained during my time in the military and incorporate it into my day-to-day business activities which made for an easy transition.”
- Ed Burns retired from the Marine Corps after 20+ years, and since 2014 has been a franchise owner of Budget Blinds serving Costa Mesa, CA. “You have so much responsibility in the military; it’s really nice to be just responsible for yourself. I love it. I love being my own boss. I love the service we’re providing.”
- Patrick Godfrey, veteran franchise owner of Concrete Craft of Charlotte, NC, shares: “I joined Concrete Craft in order to join a company which has strong growth potential and a backbone to support it. My twelve years in the Navy has provided me with the work ethic and organizational skills to be able to take my franchise and grow it beyond my best estimates.”
We are excited to launch this new initiative and look forward to giving away a franchise business to a very deserving Veteran on Veteran’s Day 2017. Stay tuned to see if they choose Budget Blinds, Tailored Living or Concrete Craft and where in North America they’ll build their business.
For more information about HFC’s veteran support programs and franchise opportunities for all three brands, visit HFC Veteran Partnerships.